Vinyl siding melting is the most common problem caused by energy-efficient windows. This gives more problems to homeowners when it comes to expenditures and fixtures. For this reason, you should know what to do to prevent vinyl distortion that looks unattractive to your home.

What Is Vinyl Siding

Most people are aware of what vinyl siding is, but not a lot of people know what it is made up of and why does it melt. Vinyl siding is commonly used as the house siding that is primarily made from polyvinyl chloride resin. Polyvinyl chloride resin makes up the 80 percent of the material. The other 20 percent is the other materials that are responsible for the vinyl’s flexibility, gloss, resistance, and opacity.

How long does vinyl siding last? This depends on the environment where it is installed and the maintenance the owner does to his house. There are reported incidents that woodpeckers destroy vinyl siding, but the most common enemy of vinyl is energy-efficient windows of your neighbor. Without the factors mentioned above, you can expect that the vinyl siding lifespan can last up to 50 years.

How Does Energy-Efficient Windows Melt the Vinyl Siding?

Energy-efficient windows are known for its ability to reflect the sun rays outside to regulate the heat inside your home. While energy-efficient windows are ideal especially on summer, its damaging effect on vinyl sidings on nearby houses is irreversible or possibly dangerous.

Energy-efficient windows become concave when there are changes in the barometric pressure. This concavity is what causing the energy-efficient windows to reflect heat of up to 200 to 245 degrees Fahrenheit like the magnifying glass, which is also known as the magnifying glass effect. The vinyl melting point is only up to 160 to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Above the said threshold, the vinyl siding starts warping.

This damaging effect does not happen only during summer. According to the National Association of Home Builders, the angle of the sun and the distance between each neighboring houses are the main contributing factors that cause vinyl siding melting. Sadly, even if you know how to replace vinyl siding on your own, this irreversible effect causes you approximately $5,000 to $11,000.

One of the possible solutions is to place a film that reduces the glare outside the energy-efficient windows. In addition, planting trees has proven beneficial in many ways. This includes blocking the glare of energy-efficient windows to prevent vinyl siding melting.